Car Ice Boxes
Car Ice Box (Esky)
The stand alone cooler used to keep drinks cool and food either warm or cool has different names depending how old you are and where you come from. Ice Box is the USA term, Car Fridge for older Aussies and Esky for younger Aussies. I am not talking about anything that runs on power, this is the insulated box with a lid and a carry handle. You can put crushed ice in it or the reusable, plastic, shaped ice packs that sit in the freezer of your fridge at home.
These have transported your favourite beverages and foodstuffs to picnics, BBQ's and sporting events for many years. They come in a range of different sizes and are constructed from different materials. Usually a plastic or fibreglass outer and inner shells with foam or air insulation. There is even an all foam family sized cooler.
Popular Questions Asked
How long will ice last in an Ice Box?
They say anything from 12 hours to over 7 days. There are a lot of dependancies here. The better insulated the ice box is, the longer the ice lasts. It also depends if you leave it in the hot sun or under a shady tree.
When should you drain water from your Esky?
If there is ice in the water, then there is no need to drain it from the esky. This is provided that what you have in the esky is watertight. That is why a good tip is always put any food in a waterproof container when going in an esky. As long as the water is colder than the temperature outside, it is better than no water.
Tips and Tricks to keep ice longer in your Ice Box
- Pre-chill the cooler before using it
- Pre-chill drinks before putting them in
- A solid ice block last longer than ice cubes. You could use a combination of the both
- Store the Ice Box in a shady spot. Avoid direct sun light
- Avoid opening the lid as often as possible
- If the water in it is colder than the outside temperature, leave it in
- The more air in the Ice Box the quicker the ice melts. You can use a towel to take space